The Benefits of Regular Exercise
(Part 6 - Healthy Diet Tips and Recipes)
- Make it Part of your Healthy Lifestyle
Exercise is a very important part of a healthy lifestyle, even if it is just a small amount each day. Some of the benefits of exercise are:
- It maintains heart health.
- Exercise increases the amount of oxygen being inhaled.
- It speeds up the removal of toxins from the cells.
- Exercise improves circulation, especially to the extremities.
- Increases muscle tone.
- It improves the circulation of blood to the skin.
- It decreases the chances of arterial blockages and clots.
- Exercise helps to burn excess fat.
- Studies show it improves mental alertness.
How Exercise Keeps You Healthy
The heart is an exceptionally powerful muscle and like all muscles, it needs to be kept healthy and fit. Exercise helps to do this. Our heart and lungs keep us alive! It is right to look after them and exercise is one way we can do this.
Even without massive workouts, with gentle, regular exercise, it is possible to increase one's health.
Getting Fit Starts with a Walk
Walking has physical and mental benefits. Once you have taken some exercise and have pushed more oxygen around your body, you may also feel an increase in alertness. If you work at a desk most of the day, take a walk at lunchtime, even if it is just around the block, street or park.
Walks can be taken early in the morning or after work, or at lunchtimes. It is a great way to start getting fitter and healthier. Start today. Walking is a great and inexpensive way to really get your circulation going!
When you do go for a walk next time, look around you. Notice your environment. Try to spot something you haven't seen before. Just this process of walking around and taking a look at where you are can feel great.
Sometimes though you can start to feel tired, especially if you have a lot on your mind. Just take some nice deep relaxing breaths and carry on walking. Any "mental" tiredness should soon pass.
You can go walking for 10 minutes up to an hour or more. It is your choice, but walking can be a lovely way to start exercising your body.
Some Tips for Everyday Exercises To Boost Circulation
If you catch a bus to work, try getting off one stop earlier than usual and walk that final little bit.
Use your lunchtime to do a little exercise before eating your lunch.
If you don't get time to exercise during the day, try and take a walk before breakfast or after supper.
Here are a few more simple ideas:
- Wash the car by hand instead of going to a car wash.
- When cleaning at home, try gradually increasing your speed.
- Clean those windows that have been waiting for months!
- Washing walls is an excellent exercise.
- Try walking up stairs instead of using lifts.
- If you use escalators, walk up them.
- Walk to the local shops, don't drive.