More about the dangers of Sugar - Page 2
Read on to get more facts about sugar. It is important for you and your family:
|Contents of this article:|
||The Sugar versus Drugs controversy
Is Sugar more harmful than Drugs?
The History of Sugar
||The reason Sugar is such a Problem
Sugar is Hidden in your Food
The Damage too much Sugar can cause
The reason it is a big problem:- Sugar is addictive
A second reason that sugar is so harmful is that like heroin it is very addictive. Because it is so delectable and seductive to the taste, it is also habit forming.
Unfortunately many people start with sugar in baby formula, and so people not only develop a strong taste for sugar but an insatiable craving for it. So much so, that they never seem to get enough of this poison.
Because sugar supplies so many empty, non-nutritious calories, the body is never really satisfied. So the body never gets the basic all-round nutrition that it needs. So more sugar is craved and consumed!
Even more unfortunate is the fact that a great deal of sugar that people consume is hidden within the foods they eat. Manufacturers add sugar to the most surprising of foods. This makes it taste "nicer" but it often camouflages the fact that the food is often "empty".
Slow but insidious damage
A third reason is that the damage sugar does is slow and insidious. It can take years before it ruins your pancreas, your adrenal glands, or throws your whole endocrine system out of kilter. All of these contribute to a long list of damage.
Blood sugar levels get thrown into turmoil and energy levels can become rather chaotic. This in turn can bring about mood swings and even bring about type 2 diabetes.
Many foods are loaded with hidden sugar
A fourth reason that sugar is so harmful to the world, is the incredible amounts of sugar that civilized nations consume.
Americans in particular are often told how they are the best fed and best nourished people on the face of the earth. If we are talking about processed junk food - this is true.
If you examine the "foods" in any supermarket more closely and start reading labels, you will find a surprising amount of foods that contain sugar - and not just a little bit!
Many, many foods are loaded with it - from cereals, to soups, to ketchup, to hotdogs.
Even flue-cured tobacco can contain as much as 20% sugar by weight. Some cereals are as much as 50% sugar.
It is actually a rather sad state of affairs. Click on this picture to see another site about hidden sugar in food:
A Partial List of Possible Damage
Just what damage can too much sugar do to the human body?
The list is endless...
When we talk about sugar, we are including bad nutrition as a whole, since anyone who indulges in too much sugar tends to also have bad dietary habits. Here's the partial list:
- Sugar is by far the leading cause of dental deterioration - cavities in teeth, bleeding gums, failure of bone structure, and loss of teeth.
- Sugar is the main cause of diabetes, hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia.
- It is either a significant or contributory cause of heart disease, arteriosclerosis, mental illness, depression, senility, hypertension, cancer.
- It has an extremely harmful effect in unbalancing the endocrine system and injuring its component glands such as the adrenal glands, pancreas and liver, causing the blood sugar level to fluctuate widely. It has a number of other extremely damaging effects on the human body.
Some of the other effects of sugar on the body are:
- Increases overgrowth of candida yeast organism
- Increases chronic fatigue
- Can trigger binge eating in those with bulimia
- Increases PMS symptoms
- Increases hyperactivity in about 50% of children
- Increases tooth decay
- Increases anxiety and irritability
- Can increase or intensify symptoms of anxiety and panic in susceptible women
- Can make it difficult to lose weight because of constantly high insulin levels, which causes the body to store excess carbs as fat.
There are a number of books available on the subject, but perhaps one of the most interesting ones is "Sugar Blues" by William Dufty. It is available in most Health Food stores.
So cut down on how much sugar you eat!